Here’s our guide to maintain your dental health
Maintaining a high standard of dental hygiene is important to keeping your whole mouth healthy. A large number of problems can be avoided simply by keeping your teeth clean and your gums healthy.
On an everyday scale, you will have teeth that look and feel clean and fresh breath. But more significantly, brushing and flossing daily can prevent a build up of plaque, which is the bacterium that causes most dental problems.
Plaque forms on your teeth every time you eat, and it can lead to problems such as gum disease, tooth decay and gingivitis, which in turn lead to the need for dental jobs such as root canal work and tooth extraction. For more information on gum disease, click here.
Brushing your teeth regularly will ensure that your gums stay healthy, hard and pink, as opposed to red, sore and bleeding.
Bleeding gums are one cause of bad breath. It can also help avoid build ups of tartar, the yellow or brown deposits you might have seen on your teeth.
How Can I Maintain Good Dental Hygiene?
All dentists will be able to give you personal advice on your dental health, such as which products are best for you and what type of toothbrush you should be using. Contact our dentists for further information.
However, here are some general rules:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, once in the morning and especially once before you go to bed.
- Floss regularly. Some bleeding is normal when you floss, but if the bleeding does not stop, contact your dentist.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash after brushing/flossing to kill bacteria.
- Use a fluoride based toothpaste to strengthen your teeth. Try to avoid swallowing this though, and be careful of how much you give to infants, who should only have small amounts in case of ingestion.
- Go for regular check-ups at the dentist and get a regular professional clean.
- Avoid food and drink with a high sugar or starch content and eat more fruit and vegetables with high water content, along with meat, fish, cheese and milk.
If you have symptoms of gum disease, go to your dentist immediately. HG Cosmetic Dentists recommends the Perfect Practices chain as they have various practices across London, Hertfordshire and Essex. Find out more about gum disease symptoms and treatments.